The Maryida Mosby Travel Scholarship in the amount of $1,000 will be awarded to an outstanding West Virginia tenth or eleventh grade student during the West Virginia Alpha Delta Kappa State Convention in April 24-26, 2020. The scholarship is provided in memory of Maryida Mosby, a former social studies teacher and Alpha Delta Kappa member. She was committed to improving world understanding and education through travel. For more information, click here.
The Coca-Cola Scholars Program Scholarship is an achievement-based scholarship awarded to graduating high school seniors each year. Students are recognized for their capacity to lead and serve, and their commitment to making a significant impact on their schools and communities. Students must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher to be considered for this scholarship. Students can receive up to $20,000. The deadline for this application is November 21st. Click here to apply.
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation is the largest scholarship foundation in the country. Scholarship recipients may receive up to $40,000 per year for up to four years; pursue any area of study; take advantage of individual college advising; and have the opportunity to network with other high-achievers within the JKCF Scholar community. To be considered, applicants must plan to graduate in the spring of 2016 with intentions of attending a 4-year college. Students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 with test scores in the top 15% (SAT - 1200 or ACT - 26) and demonstrate financial need. The application deadline is November 13. For more information, visit http://www.jkcf.org.
The 2020 MVS application opens on August 5, 2019. The 2020 Most Valuable Student scholarship contest is open to any high school senior who is a US Citizen. Applicants will be judged on scholarship, leadership, and financial need. The application deadline is November 5, 2019 at 11:59 PM.
Current high school seniors, or the equivalent, who are citizens of the United States are eligible to apply.
Applicants need not be related to a member of the Elks.
High school graduates are not eligible to apply.
Applicants must be citizens of the United States on the date their applications are signed; permanent legal resident status does not qualify.
The Elks National Foundation will award 500 four-year scholarships to the highest-rated applicants in the 2020 competition.
Male and female students compete separately.
Ranging from $1,000 per year to $12,500 per year, Most Valuable Student scholarships are for students pursuing a four-year degree, on a full-time basis (minimum of 12 semester hours), in a U.S. college or university. All scholarships are in the form of certificates of award conditional upon the full-time enrollment of the winner in an accredited U.S. college or university.
The Chicago office of the Elks National Foundation will announce the 2020 500 national winners in late April 2020. (Many local Lodges, districts and state Elks associations award their own scholarships through this program. These scholarships are not to be confused with the 500 Elks National Foundation Most Valuable Student Scholarships.)
Jim Bailey, past Transportation Director of Roane County Schools, was a very active member of the West Virginia Association for Pupil Transportation. He also worked on the national level to help provide the safest transportation for our children. In memory of Jim Bailey, this scholarship was established to provide assistance to students of West Virginia who attend post secondary vocational and technical programs. Since the inception of this scholarship program in 1999, the number of students to receive
assistance has grown from 1 to approximately 12 and the amount of the scholarship has increased to $600.00. The application deadline is April 15th. Click here to apply.
GENERAL FEDERATION OF WOMEN’S CLUBS WEST VIRGINIA SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION DEADLINE APRIL 1, 2019
1. The recipient of a scholarship shall be a man or woman who is a United States Citizen and has resided in West Virginia for at least three years prior to applying.
2. Scholarships of up to $1,000 will be available. Recipients will be notified no later than June 1.
3. Only one (1) scholarship will be granted to an applicant in a calendar year. Applicants may apply each year they are attending school. A new completed application is required.
4. Scholarships will be granted for attending an accredited college, professional, vocational or technical program offered by an institution in West Virginia. Students must be full-time students. Scholarships may be granted for attending a school or college outside West Virginia only if the program desired is not offered within the state.
5. Applications should be submitted to the counseling office.
6. The applicant shall submit, with the application, the following requirements for eligibility: a. Two (2) current letters of recommendation, one personal and one academic. Personal/work reference shall be by an adult other than a family member. These need to be signed. b. A recent transcript of grades c. Copy of an official letter of acceptance or validation from the accredited school to be attended, or validation of attendance for those already in a program.
7. Completed applications with all elements must be postmarked by April 1st. The awarded scholarship will be paid directly to the school to be attended.
8. Scholarship recipients will be selected on the criteria of a. Financial need b. Academic info obtained in transcripts c. Leadership/School Activities d. Community Service e. Work Experience
Click here for the application.
The West Virginia Association of Orthopaedic Executives (WVAOE) has established the Joshua Tuck Scholarship to help support a student studying healthcare management.
At the time of his death in 2017, Josh was the practice manager for the Charleston Area Medical Center Department of Orthopaedic Surgery; in addition, he was vice president of WVAOE. The Joshua Tuck Scholarship is being created specifically to reward the outstanding scholastic achievements of high school seniors who plan to enter the healthcare management field.
Complete eligibility rules and forms can be found under the “WVAOE Members” tab at www.wvos.com. Applicants (1) must be West Virginia high school seniors; (2) must enroll in Bluefield State College, Fairmont State University, Marshall University or WVU Tech; (3) major in a healthcare management program; and (4) submit a 300-500 word essay answering the question: “Describe your community’s issues with opioids and explain how you would reduce the problem.”
Please click here for the application letter, form and required documentation.
WVAOE will accept applications and accompanying essays postmarked between January 2, 2019 and March 31, 2019. From all the applications received, the WVAOE Board of Directors will select a single one-time only $2,500 scholarship recipient in April 2019. The winner will be announced at their high school awards assembly or commencement program.
This scholarship is for the 19-20 academic year and available to high school students who are planning to study Business Administration at Concord University. To be awarded, students must be accepted and attend Concord University in Fall 2019. Students should submit their electronic application materials as a PDF no later than March 29, 2019 to Lucinda Gonderman at email@example.com. Click here to apply.
West Virginia Desk and Derrick Club members work for and support West Virginia's energy industries and affiliates. Their primary goal is to advance the education of the individuals who supply the Nation's energy today and in the years ahead. This is a one-time scholarship is the amount of $1,000. Stop by the school counseling office for an application. The deadline to apply is March 22, 2019.
- A copy of the student's high school transcript with ACT/SAT score
-An original essay of at least 300 words
-A discussion of the applicant's history of leadership or service
-At least one letter of recommendation from someone other than a relative
-Application must be signed by applicant's counselor or principal
-If any part of the criteria is missing, application will not be considered
The WV Pumpkin Festival sponsors a scholarship each year for seniors. It is not on the scholarship portal. You will find the application here: wvpumpkinpark.com/ Due by April 15th, 2019.